Friday, April 20, 2012

Museum ABC by The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Museum ABC. Little, Brown and Company, 2002. 60 pages. ISBN: 9780316071703 Preschool and up. No official website. http://www.metmuseum.org/
Museum ABC

Concept book that uses classic art from the Metropolitan Museum of Art to demonstrate different letters of the alphabet.

As an art lover, I felt impelled to seek out this recommended book. To familiarize myself with this particular concept book type, I compared it to another similar book (I Spy An Alphabet in Art). My conclusion- this is one of the better art and alphabet books around. Just like the museum (this is a side note and personal opinion). One of the points that makes this art/alphabet book standout (aside from the actual art pieces) is that there are four representations of eah object per letter. By seeing the various ways of depicting and representing objects and ideas, a child's visual vocabulary should expand. Apples aren't visually condemned as the stereotyped two-dimensional red version toting a leaf like a flag. Like the representations choosen from the book: they can be described by line to express mood, they reflect light and can be lots of colors, they grow on trees, etc. This is a good book that can be enjoyed past the alphabet years. Plus, the book is a good way to be introduced to art. Thank you for choosing this book. I'm going to seek out the counting book, also.



No comments:

Post a Comment