Litwin, Eric. Pete the Cat I Love my White Shoes. Illustrated by James Dean. HarperCollins, 2010. 40 pages. Reprint edition. Hard Cover. ISBN 0061906220. Ages 4 and up. Picture book. Official Eric Litwin website: http://www.ericlitwin.com/ and no official James Dean website.
Pete the cat just brought a pair of new white shoes but they aren't going to stay white and new for long as Pete the cat encounters colors.
This book is also recommended by Professor Richie, so I saw this as a good opportunity to seek it out. To get results, however, I had to go against the assignment a bit, but so be it. I did not find this book in the library (Taipei), so I followed the youtube link in the content pages.
I wasn't disappointed. Seeing and hearing the author give his rendition put this book into a different category for me. The performance really made it come alive. Maybe that's because I sometimes I lack rhythm and the book would've taken a different beat if I had read it in my natural way. Deadpan Pete the Cat just isn't the same. Anyway, the knowledge of the musical rhythm made this book fun and one of very few books that I'm willing to 'sing' out. And, it sticks. I have to refrain from singing out the refrain.
The art by James Dean is also very cool and modern. Since the illustrations are based on paintings, I'm sure that they are much better experienced up close from the actual book. I also really like Pete's cool attitude about accepting life even when one steps in a large pile of #^ _ ^#... oh, strawberries. Thank you for the recommendation.
Pete the Cat via Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUubMSfIs-U&feature=relmfu
No comments:
Post a Comment