Baby Guess
幼福文化- Yow Fu Culture, Co., Ltd Taiwan
2010
10 pages
www.168books.com.tw
IBSN unavailable (sticker placement)
IBSN unavailable (sticker placement)
Ages 0-3
Picture book.
No official website.
Picture book.
No official website.
Annotation: A Chinese book that allows babies and toddlers to play and guess in a game of peek-a-boo.
Observations/Reactions: The Baby Guess animal book was met with so much enthusiasm by my baby that I thought that I would find one of the other books in the series, but this one was a combination of being too advanced and just plain not as well written. This book is the same format but this Baby Guess book focuses on types of people (prince, princess, doctor, chef, clown, et cetera). Like the other guessing book, each character has his/her hands covering part of his/her face and a hint. The child can still lift the hands/flap down to reveal the person's smiling face and an introduction. "Hi/ ni hao! I'm a ---!"
The hints were the main let down. Some examples of these hint's are "I look like a mountain," for the prince (see image below) and "I have a pointy head," for the princess. Obviously, hints for these character/people/roles are more difficult and more abstract but these hints don't seem linked beyond the appearance of the covered form. Another two hint's were "I look like cotton candy." Clown. "I have horns on my head." Pirate. While it does stimulate the imagination, it doesn't really teach about these roles.
Theoretically, children are introduced to visual cues, greetings, and the game of peek-a-boo. It's a creative way to introduce ways of identifying types of people and the visual clues that are usually associated with those types. I just wish it had better dialogue.





No comments:
Post a Comment