Klassen, J.. I want my hat back. Somerville, Mass.: Candlewick Press, 2011. 40 pages. ISBN: 978-0763655983. Ages 4 and up. Picture book. Official author website: http://www.burstofbeaden.com/
"Nobody has seen my hat. What if I never see it again? What if nobody ever finds it? My poor hat. I miss it so much." This 2012 Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor book is about a bear's search for his endeared and missing hat. The bear (sans hat) carefully and questions every animal that he meets in the forest while practicing patience and politeness. Every animal says 'no' until he meets the shifty overly dismissive rabbit (who is illustrated wearing the said hat) and outright lies to the bear. "No. Why are you asking me. I haven't seen it. I haven't seen any hats anywhere. I would not steal a hat. Don't ask me any more questions." Bear says "ok" and politely thanks rabbit. A sullen despondent bear is shown lying down about to give up when he realizes that he has seen his dear hat... on the rabbit. He sets out to find the rabbit.
The illustrations and tongue-and-cheek humor make this book really stand out. The illustrations are done in Chinese ink and digital art. This book contrasts with Aesop's the Lion & the Mouse where the lion goes against his animalistic instincts. Without spoiling the book, it is fair to say that the bear does not subliminate his instincts. This concerns some parents. Much can be said about that topic and there are many great comments online about that topic. The topic that I will address, however, is how this book helps with early literacy. Repetition and true to life dialogues. This is also a good read aloud book.
No comments:
Post a Comment